Can We Really Go Back?

I participated a few weeks ago in a worship service at my home church with the church family that helped shape me into who I am today.  I was invited by a former Minister of Music to play the piano for the congregational singing and to accompany a small ensemble.  I was delighted and honored to be asked.  I found it amusing though that I would be asked since this was a reunion of the youth group from the 60's.  I was born in 1962.  But I knew why and was thrilled to be asked. It was because of the influence that these youth had on my life growing up and the influence that my parents had on their lives. 

My parents were lay youth leaders in our church and hosted many youth fellowships in our home and at our lake house.  My dad probably taught just about every youth that came through to water ski behind his boat as well as many adults.  Many of the people that day spoke about my mom and dad and the influence they had on them. My dad loved Jesus and he shared Him with anyone who would listen.  He and mom especially loved young people.  They taught Sunday School for years. The legacy they have left for my sister and me is priceless.  It makes me proud, that even so many years after my dad's death, that my parents are still remembered so fondly and appreciated for the influence they were on so many of their lives.

When I think through those precious memories, I think of all of the fun those kids had, the smiles, the laughter. I got to see and experience that because they were in and out of my house constantly. They not only came for fun though, they also came for wise counsel.  I remember the defining moments when they graduated from high school, their marriages, and some of them having children.  Then some moved away, and some stayed around.  But they all grew up while I was still growing up.  Some of them went into the Ministry.  Some became preachers, some Ministers of Music.  Others became Church musicians, and some Church lay leaders.  What was really special about this day was to see that Jesus wasn't just someone that they learned about during those years, but Someone who has truly transformed their lives. 

Many of the adults that were there in the 60's are still there today and even some of the youth I grew up with are now there as adults.  Some have moved on to other churches or even on to Glory!  Many of those adults had a great impact on my life and the lives of these youth. They are in their 70's, 80's and even 90's.  I will be forever grateful for those who have impacted my life by rocking me in the nursery, teaching me in Sunday School, Discipleship, GA's, Acteens, Sonbeams, choir, youth group, etc... THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!

But can we really go back?  Sure we can physically go back to places where we grew up, went to school, our homes,...but we can never become again who we were then.  We've moved on. We've grown up.  We've experienced more of life with the challenges and successes that have shaped us into the people we are today.  We'll never be that youth of the past, but that youth of the past is still a part of who we are and influences our thinking and living today. 

Why did I go back?  I wanted to see people who love me and whom I love.  I wanted to see if any of the youth I knew so long ago had grey hair now. HA!  I wanted to worship as an adult with the people who I watched worship as a child.  I wanted to help usher them into the presence of Jesus through my playing the piano because of their allowing me to play in church services as a kid.  If it hadn't been for this family of believers, I don't know how I would have learned so much about Jesus, His Word, and about myself.  They were my extended family.  A huge part of our family.  They welcomed me with opened arms when mom and dad adopted me.  Over 80 people came to see me that first day and mom says I never cried but just smiled for each one.  That's why I went back.  To give back.  To thank them for the investment they made in my life. To see some of them probably for the last time.  I needed to see them- one more time.

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for designing Your Church.  We need each other no matter where we are or where we go.  Because of You, Lord Jesus, we can love each other because You first loved us.  I thank You for this opportunity to go back and to give back to these precious people.  Thank You for allowing them to be a part of my childhood, my memories and my family.  Amen.

My Pleasure,
Melanie


   

Comments