Mom's World, a New Chapter

The next chapter has begun.  Last Thursday, Rick and I spent most of the day helping to place mom's furniture in her new room, hanging the curtains, making her bed and organizing her closet.  As we were emptying some drawers in her old apartment, mom came in from the dining room.  I was afraid that she might get aggitated and wonder what we were doing in her stuff.  But, to my suprise, she said, "This is my first day here!"  What was so strange is she is standing in her villa; the room she has lived in for the past 6 years ,not the dementia unit where her new room is being set up.  She was smiling and looked excited.  I asked her how she was and she said she loved it.  She also said, "And the best part is I don't have to wash any dishes."  She laughed!  What a transformation from Sunday to Thursday.  She has now lost the past 6 years of memory and she is just going with the flow.  It's  all fresh and new for her.  Thank you, Lord.

On Friday, my sister and I went to give some gifts to her former care givers and let them know how much we have appreciated what they have done for our mother and for us. We also cleaned out a little of the stuff in her villa and took some things over that mom would need.  As we walked into the VISTA (the dementia unit), mom was asleep at the dining table. She popped right up when we addressed her.  She even introduced me and my sister as her 2 girls to the ladies at the table with her.  Wow.  She hasn't been that assured of who we are in a while.  What a turn around.  She was very content and seemed very happy.

That night I got a call from the care supervisor and she told me that mom had gone to play BINGO in the other area of the building that day.  She told them that she couldn't stay there long because her room was in the other area.  They said, "Ok, Mrs. Junelle."  When it was time to go back to her area she began walking toward the wrong door.  She was headed for the door that leads out to the parking lot.  One of the assistants said, "No, Mrs. Junelle.  We go this way."  Mom said, "Well, it says "EXIT".  They all got a buzz out of her and the care supervisor splitting her sides on the other end of the phone.  She said that when they pointed my mom in the right direction she went on her merry way to her new room.  Sounds like my mom is back to her funny self, but without the past six years in her memory.  I'm sure there will be more to add later, but for now this new chapter has started well.

Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for taking care of our mom and this new move in her life.  We couldn't be more thrilled with the way things have gone.  You are so good and we praise You for your provision for mom.  Please continue to watch over her and her care givers.  Help us to continue to honor her and take care of her in the best way possible.  She has been a wonderful mother to me and my sister.  Even though she didn't birth us physically, she is the epitomy of what a mother should be!  She has loved us, provided for us, gave up a career to raise us, and most importantly, she, along with our dad, taught us about You.  They both gave us themselves and that's the best image of Your love anyone could ever mirror! AMEN!

My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments