A Job for a Day


When you see a daylily what do you see? 

In the morning, it opens up. Fresh. New. Beautiful. 

It is on display all day long.

In the evening, the daylily closes as if to say,
"My work is done."

And guess what.  It's work is done.

The daylily's plant name is Hemerocallis
which comes from two Greek words
meaning "beauty" and "day".   

(Source:  www.daylilies.org/AHSFAQsNew.html

The daylily's beauty is only for a day, and then...it dies.

So what is the daylily's job for a day?

It's to proclaim the glory of God for one day and one day only.



Isaiah 6:3 tells us: 

"And they (seraphs) were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is
the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is filled with His glory."

Just look around you.  Do you see it?

Listen! 

Can you hear it?

God's symphony - played with perfection - by His creation!


Behind each gorgeous bloom are many tiny buds anticipating the right moment designed just for them.

Each one waiting their turn, their ordained time in history,

to proclaim the glory of the Creator;

for one day and one day only.


I wonder.

How would I spend today if I knew it was the only one I had?

Would I wake up with anticipation saying, "Today is my day to burst into bloom and proclaim the glory of the Lord!"? 



"My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be."  Psalm 139:15-16 NIV

How are you going to spend the day? 

Dear Lord Jesus,
Help me to awaken every morning with the thought, "Today is my day to proclaim Your glory!" I don't know how many days are ordained for me, but please give me strength, and courage to proclaim You this day.  I want to spend my days well!  Amen. 

My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments