A Legacy Unleashed



When I think of the word Legacy, I think of something that began in the past which pushes into the future.  A legacy is the life-print of someone who came before us and is impacting what we do today.

A couple of weeks ago, our church had a Legacy Service.  It was a time to reflect on what God had done in the past through His people and how the legacy is affecting the future of His people. It was a challenge to stay the course with the vision God birthed in the hearts of those very first members who acted by faith and brought to life the God-given vision.






I have been quite deeply affected by the legacy of many Christians who've gone before me, but the first person on my list would be my dad.  What a man of faith - not perfect - but in this daughter's eyes, he was as close as they come. He loved Jesus Christ with all of his heart, his soul, and his mind.  He strived to be the man of God that he was called to be.  Not only did he love His Savior, but he loved people just like Christ did.  His daily goal was to reach as many with the gospel as possible and to show them how much Jesus loved them. And he did just that; just like his dad, my granddaddy Cook.

My dad left a life-print on my heart that is affecting the way I live my life today.

A legacy unleashed.

Right up there with my dad is my mom; another life-print burned into my heart.  She was such a gracious and elegant hostess.  Seared into my memory is how she opened our home to kids, teenagers, adults.  Anytime there needed to be a home for a fellowship, a women's meeting place, a youth pool party, choir events, lake parties, bible studies, even for some who needed guidance or counseling, our home was always open and filled with the grace of my mom.  I never heard her complain about so many people being at our house all of the time. Instead, her laughter was what you heard.  Her hands were what you saw- making and serving some of the best food you have ever put in your mouth.  A legacy of grace, love, and service. That was my mom.

Her life-print continues today in how I host and open our home for others to enjoy and to be served. I pray I'm just half  the hostess she was.

Another legacy unleashed.

 
The song Steve Green made popular many years ago called "Find Us Faithful", was a song  challenging Christians to leave behind a life-print of faithfulness to Christ that can be traced with ease. A life so full of Christ that others migrate towards it to be loved, encouraged, and discipled. A life so faithful that others want to follow in its' faith steps.

Isn't that what the writer of Hebrews challenged us with?  "Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith." Hebrews 13:7 NIV

If anyone challenged me to love Christ and live like Christ, it was my parents.  As they are now a part of that vast cloud of witnesses cheering us on to stay the course, I pray their legacy of Christ is living on through me and many others that were deeply impacted by their life-print.

Lord Jesus, help us be the leaders today that others can imitate tomorrow, not just by speaking Your words, but also bringing Your words to life.  A legacy unleashed is becoming what You have called us to be, and living how You have called us to live- just as You lived...with Your power, through Your Spirit, rooted in Your truth!

My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments