Dealing with Disappointment

My adventure today began with disappointment.  Something I have been looking forward to was put on hold - again.  Not because of anyone else, but because of circumstances I am mostly responsible for.

Our daily adventures, sifted through the fingers of God, are divinely designed to teach us, mold us, and make us more like Christ.  Sometimes those adventures bring disappointment. But that doesn't mean that all is lost and that His love for us has changed.  Nor does it mean that our love for Him is any less.  God is still as good as He always is, it's just our human emotions take over and put us in a bad mood. Circumstances do dictate our feelings much of the time as Satan seeks to steal our joy.

That's why I wanted to blog, first thing.  I need to deal with this disappointment in the best way possible.  I need to focus on what's best and not what I want.  There's that selfish spirit raising its ugly head again.  I need a whack-a-mole club to beat it down.  Why am I so selfish sometimes?

Our sin nature is what we battle day in and day out.  If we turn our focus inward, we become moody, angry, and say things we regret.  So far I haven't hit the regret part, but moody and angry have made an appearance.  Satan is seeking to steal my joy. But God doesn't expect us to do battle alone when He lives in us.  His Holy Spirit dwells within us to help us overcome sin.  Scriptures tell us that God in us is so much greater than the enemy that is in the world. (I John 4:4)

This is where my strength comes from - from the power of the Holy Spirit. The joy of the Lord is my strength. (Nehemiah 8:10b)This is how I can put on the brakes before I say something I will regret or hurt the feelings of someone I love.  This is where the rubber meets the road; how I can choose what is best over what feels right.  This is how I keep my joy in the face of disappointment!

So for today's adventure with the Lord, I'm dealing with disappointment by giving my disappoint to God; letting Him reign in the selfish desires of my heart and by allowing my spirit to draw strength from the Holy Spirit who is stronger than any emotion that I may display.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for convicting this heart that sways toward sin sometimes.  Please forgive me and help me to be strong. I want to radiate You and Your goodness to those around me. Help me keep my emotions in check, focus on Your character, and wash my mind with Your Word.  You never disappoint.  You always satisfy.  True joy is only found in a relationship with You. And as I trust in You, and stand in awe of You, You promise I will lack nothing. (Psalm 34:9) Fill me today, Lord, with Your joy. In the precious name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

I'm already feeling better!

My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments