I Married a Servant



For the last 3 or 4 of our anniversary weekends, Rick has spent them at the State School Board Convention in Hilton Head, SC.  It's no different this year.  On Sunday, February 23, our anniversary, he will be returning home from the 2014 convention and I will be waiting to greet him with open arms. 

Wait! Before you go and lambast him for not taking me with him, you must understand some things very special about this incredible man that I love.  First, we never miss a celebration whether it's before he leaves or when he returns. And second, he is a servant.  He has a servant's heart, and he loves serving others.  Not only is he a great public servant, he's also an incredible private servant to his family.

Rick loves to serve us.  He'll make the beds, do laundry, clean, cook, etc...I've never had to ask him to help around the house.  I know ladies; he is a dream come true. My friends have even asked me to get him to do "Husband" conferences to teach their husbands how to serve them better. And, if I ever complain about anything having to do with his "helping", I am put in my place very quickly. I am truly blessed with the best!




 
 
 

Last year while he was gone, I spent Saturday, our anniversary, making a special surprise for him that speaks his love language - organization.  I cleaned out our pantry and alphabetized everything.  All items had an assigned space.  On the outside of the pantry doors, I placed 28 reasons why I love him on sticky notes (corresponding to the number of years of marriage).  He had no clue until he was coaxed to open the doors that his love language gift was waiting to greet him on the inside!  The look on his face was priceless! He loved it!

I haven't decided yet what I'll surprise him with this year, but I'll let you know.
Rick has been given a beautiful spiritual gift by God; the gift of serving, and he takes this gift very seriously. Whether it's serving his church family, his community, or his personal family, Rick serves wholeheartedly, with a gentle and humble spirit.

Anyone can serve, but what makes a great servant is their heart; their attitude about serving. When someone does for others just because they love them, with no expectations for anything in return, that's a true servant. 

A true servant strives to serve with a heart like Jesus.  Jesus served with humility, humbling Himself to the point of death, even death on a cross. Not only did Jesus serve like no other, He died like no other - for ALL of the sins of ALL people.

Jesus served when it wasn't "convenient".  He served the unlovely (according to the world's standards). He served out of His love of the Father and His love for His creation - people - you and me.  He served to point us to the Father.

We are all called to serve with a heart like Christ's; with nothing expected in return, with a love that is without conditions, and to point people to Jesus.  God gave me a great example of this in the man I married almost 29 years ago. I am so grateful to be his wife.  I love you, Rick Shull!

My Pleasure,
Melanie





Comments