Picking Up the Pen and the Pace




Dragging my feet AGAIN with my gifts journal.  Why? Why do I slip back into the habit of NOT giving thanks; writing gifts down? Why?

Why do any of us fall behind in life-giving habits that are worth our effort and time to do?  Just like with my lack of walking - I can fall behind, replacing the healthy with the unhealthy faster than you can say, "Jack rabbit!", or "Dab-nab-it!", or "Cheez-its!" 









The answer for me is easy, but not so easy to swallow.

I'm lazy!  I don't want to walk on the treadmill. I would rather write, sip coffee, read, or watch an old movie.  But, although there's nothing wrong with what I want to do, I need to get moving. I need to pick up the pace with my health and stop ignoring the inevitable. Sedentary people become more sedentary and less healthy.

And what about those things which draw us nearer to the Savior - those healthy, Spirit-filled habits that keep our minds pure, renewed, and so full of Jesus? Why do we ignore His best and settle for less?

Not being intentional with spiritual habits which keep us spiritually strong (reading God's Word, meditating on His truth, praying, etc...) produces an unhealthy, unfruitful relationship with our Savior.

Our lack of giving thanks pushes us back to a place of less joy; missing what is right in front of us; missing the Invisible God through His visible gifts.  Our lack of searching for those precious gifts of joy speaks loudly about our state of laziness, forgetfulness, and busyness. How can we be too busy to be thankful? Allowing some good things to cloud our thinking obstructs our vision of the best things God has for us.

So today, I'm admitting my laziness, my forgetfulness, my sinfulness - my lack of thanksgiving in ALL things. As I seek to pick up the pen and the pace with a grateful heart, I'm focusing again on this verse, "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 
(1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV)

Lord Jesus, I want to be diligent, faithful, and true to Your purpose for my life. I want to give back to You through thanksgiving as You have so generously blessed me with gifts beyond measure.  As I pick up my pen and pick up the pace, moving forward into the summer, help me stay focused on the Spirit-filled task of thanking You, my King, for EVERYTHING! "  Amen.

Why don't you join me in penning gifts as we count it all joy this summer?

1037. Blue skies in SC
1038. The smell of fresh, brewed coffee
1039. A hands free basket (Psalm 81)
1040. Resurrection Day
1041. Loss of a few lbs.
1042. A Holy Spirit Who transforms us
1043. Bright pink rose buds
1044. 20 minute treadmill walk

My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments