Sunday Scribbles

Sunday scribbles. It's what I do. It's how I learn. It's how I remember. It's how I roll. (Did I really just type that?)

I scribble notes, Scripture references, quotes, and my own thoughts. I've been scribbling from sermons, Bible studies, Christian conferences, Sunday School lessons, and more ever since my senior year in high school. It's one of the best habits I've ever been encouraged to develop.

Jotting down notes and thoughts help us grow in our knowledge of the Word of God. It reminds us of some thoughts to reflect on, or a passage we wanted to look up later.

I remember when I was just beginning this habit, encouraged by a youth minister at another church I had visited some, I was sitting in my home church one Sunday night. Our youth group always sat together and that night we were gathered on our usual pews. Our pastor at the time was having some serious issues, personally and spiritually, and the church was really struggling, but I thought I should still take notes.

As I was writing down some of what he was saying, he looked straight at me and called me out in front of the whole church. He thought we were passing notes because what else would youth be doing writing in church? When I told him I wasn't passing notes and that I was taking sermon notes, he looked as if I had thrown cold water in his face. He was totally shocked someone was taking notes from his sermon. Awkward!

But that didn't stop me from continuing to develop a great habit. Eventually, our family left for deeper reasons than the pastor calling me out, and began attending the church I had been visiting.

My scribbling has helped me grow in my faith and in my knowledge of God's Word. It's benefited me greatly and I will continue to do so as long as I'm able.

Occasionally, I will share blogposts titled Sunday Scribbles. These will be designed to help you to search the Word of God, read, take notes, and learn truth for yourself.

Here are a few scribbles from Sunday's message from Philippians 1:12-14.

Paul's mission was to advance the gospel of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:12) No matter how grim his circumstances (prison, beaten, starved, shipwrecked, etc...), his mission never wavered. He viewed his circumstances through the lens of the Gospel.

Paul had experienced Jesus Christ up close and personal. He knew, without a shadow of a doubt, what his purpose was and Who he was living for. Do I?

Just think. If Paul had not penned his purpose, as well as the other Apostles, to the believers, we would not have the picture of the early Church, the struggles of the early Church, or the encouragement for the Church to be the Church. Because Paul knew he was chosen to advance the Gospel, his divinely inspired words continue to serve the Church well, withstanding the test of time.

Our mission is the same - to advance the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to not waver in our purpose. As Christians, we have an up close and personal relationship with Him. The life we live, the words we speak, the letters we pen should all be grounded in the Truth of God's Word, offered as an extension of God's grace, love and mercy, always pointing people to Jesus Christ. This is our profound purpose. 

This is what I mean by Sunday Scribbles. See what you can scribble down from next Sunday's sermon. Who knows? You might develop a new habit! (Just be ready to defend yourself if the pastor calls you out.)

My Pleasure,
Melanie


Comments