Purpose Found in the Everyday Mundane



S.W.A.P.

Before this past week, S.W.A.P. stood for Sisters With a Purpose, but while reading, If You Find this Letter, My Journey to Find Purpose Through Hundreds of Letters to Strangers - a memoir by Hannah Brencher, S.W.A.P. now stands for Souls With a Purpose.

Years of leading Bible studies and encouraging women to encourage each other through the weeks of study has morphed into what I have recently come to call S.W.A.P. - a very tangible, personal way to encourage one another to stay the course, to not give up, to stick with the plan.

Through handwritten notes jotted onto real stationary cards, penned with real cursive lettering, and even mailed with a real stamp, hearts have been lifted and given purpose to stay all in for the long haul.



Because of my fetish with handwritten notes, I was drawn to Hannah Brencher's first-ever published book. I have just finished reading it. Literally. I just closed the cover.

Woven between its hard front and back covers, a former wandering, and unsettled heart finds purpose and God by leaving love letters for people all over New York City - on subways, on counters in restrooms, on tables in coffee shops, slipped into book bags or in jacket pockets. Not the sappy, superficial romantic type, but love letters filled with words which are crafted to speak right to the heart of one needing a spark of hope. On the outside of the envelopes she would write, "If you find this letter, then this letter is for you."

Through the writing of hundreds of love letters, Hannah Brencher uncovers the power of encouragement, and the One who created her for a mission bigger than herself.

Hannah Brencher is just 26 years old and has lived more life than many 40 year olds I know. She's smart, creative, driven, and full of compassion. Yet, as she spilled her lonely and desperate heart onto the pages of her memoir, I feel I've just gotten up from an over-coffee-conversation with a best friend I've known for years.

There are 26 years between us in age. I could be her mother. But the similarities, especially in her passion for writing real letters, telling real stories, and for encouraging people through powerful words, erases the generation gap. I have to say, sitting down over the last week with many a cup of coffee and reading through her story has brought laughter, crocodile tears, and a deep desire to press on.

Brencher has fanned the flames of my own passion for the bigger than myself dream.

A dream that is not about me, but all about Jesus. Jesus is all about loving people. Love is the very definition of God. God is love. (1 John 4:7-8) Real. Love.

Shortly after Brencher began her love letter writing, she created a website called MoreLoveLetters.com. Blown away at the response from people who took her up on her offer to write a letter to anyone who felt they needed one, she continues to write "love letters" to anyone who asks for one through her website.

I am all about the art of story and the lost art of handwriting. Brencher has captured both of my passions by blending her story and her intentional letter writing mission with such deep reflection and wisdom.

Through much of the book, I could see my own 25 year old son, my 20 year old daughter, their friends, and deep into my own 52 year old heart. Her words are courageous, passionate, and bold. Ever so seasoned with grace beyond her years.

What really struck me through Hannah Brencher's words and her bigger than herself actions was her challenge to really see people and spill love onto people. She has learned how to bring love from the other side of our safe walls of easy worship and out into the hard worship of loving Him in our daily mundane - out and into the streets of real life - out where people who need real hope are.

Leaving an anonymous trail of love letters for those who are hurting, hopeless, and lonely, meets their need for knowing someone cares and notices them, and meets Hanna's purpose to meet that need. Her depth of love and example has encouraged others to begin tearing down the invisible walls built between the hurting and those pretending not to see them. Remarkable human beings, all created by God and in His image are all around us just needing someone to spill the love of God on them and notice that they exist.

All of us need a Savior.

As I said, "My flame has been fanned" and I'm pressing on with this bigger than myself purpose. A God-designed purpose to make a difference, not for applause or trophies, but to leave an impression on the hearts of people that only I've been designed to make.  Like my own fingerprint, no one else can leave it behind. Just me.

Lord, help me to see with Your eyes the wonder, the beauty, and the need of all mankind. The need for a Savior.
      
My Pleasure,
Melanie








Comments