Sunday Scribbles







Scribbling in my sermon notebook, I started thinking...

The weekend has been a little hard for me. I've been a little blah. Though I'm full of the joy of Christ, my heart is a little sad today, and my eyes have leaked at times, just a few tears, knowing that my family's season is changing - again.

Then my mind slipped into questioning whether or not I have any regrets, because, as of this past Saturday, both kids are living out on their own.









Are there things I should have taught my son and daughter that I let slip by 
or was just too busy to take the time to teach them? 

Did I do a good job as a mom? 
Are they prepared to face this world on their own? 

Have I taught them how to think and what to think about?

Have I been a good example of a heart that loves Jesus to the hilt? 
Have I modeled the life of a disciple before them?

Have I taught them well how to live a life that is pleasing to God? 

Can I truly say with confidence these words of Paul?
"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me ~ put into practice. 
And the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:9 NIV)

No mom or dad is perfect. I know that. But I also know God blessed me with the deepest desire of my heart almost 26 years ago when I became a mommy for the first time. Once that heart desire became a reality, my prayer and plea shifted because of my newfound responsibility. My desire now was for God to make me the best, godly mom I could possibly be.

Some of my most precious memories with my children are of our bedtime rituals involving books, Bible stories, and bedtime prayers. I loved the hugs, the snuggles, and the soothing, rocking rhythm while singing songs about Jesus and His Word. Laying down with them until they fell asleep (or until I woke up and realized I was still in their bed). Playtime, mealtime, school, worship, church, and just being together. All of life provides us with teachable moments as we're loving, playing, working, and raising our children to be responsible, God-honoring, faith-filled adults, and to understand that their relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important relationship they will ever have.

My Sunday Scribbles helped me to reflect on great memories and that even if I have regrets, I trust I did my best while God was doing and is doing the rest.

So, if I may, I would like to end this blog entry with a few thoughts for my grown up kiddos:

Read and meditate on the Word of God as much as you can throughout your day, 
thinking about the good stuff from our good God. 

Love and trust God with all of your heart, 
keeping your eyes fixed on Jesus Christ through faith.

Honor the Spirit by letting His power be active in you, 
and free-flowing through you. 

Through prayer and consistent repentance, 
always from a heart of deep gratefulness,
 be full of love, joy and grace.

And, above all else, be who God created you to be. 
Use your God-given talents and gifts to better the world for Jesus' sake,
 by living well, and loving well,  for His glory.

I love you both, Turner and Madison, with all my heart, 
not just "to the moon and back", but 
"to infinity and beyond!"

My Pleasure,
Mom
(Melanie)















Comments