Personality Matters

1. Sassy.
2. Simple. 
3. Serious.

There. I did it. In three words.

(And yes, fellow writers, I even used the forbidden alliteration.)

In a writer's workshop I attended recently, we were asked to identify our blog's personality.



Identifying our personality traits helps us in understanding how our message is being communicated.

Makes sense. Right?


Our personality flows through our communication.

Being aware of how people perceive us is key to how we craft and deliver our message. Although this workshop was specifically for Christian bloggers, the principle relates to anyone proclaiming a message. Whether through print, social media, or face to face...

 personality matters.

In examining my own blog's personality, I've concluded:

1. Sassy can be funny, but it can also be offensive.

We need to know our audiences and gauge the "sass-ometer." If our audience has a good sense of humor or knows us well, then this personality trait will not hinder, and may even help our message, drawing them in.

But, if our audience is more serious-minded, or simply lack-luster in the humor department, then Sass would be a pass.

2. Simply speaking, we can never go wrong with simplicity

The K.I.S.S. method, for instance, has been around for eons. Keep. It. Simple. Stupid. 
And, guess what. It still works.

I labor long and hard on my blog posts. Sometimes, too long. It could be days before I publish. My goal is not to lose your attention with too many words or cause you to have to reread a sentence that's difficult to follow. I want my carefully, selected words to flow so you will be moved to reflect or act or both. The quantity and quality of words is very important.

Simple can mean less, and less is usually best.

3. Seriously though, there's a time and place for serious discussion, and we mustn't be afraid to go there. 

Sometimes we're pressed for time, or we just sense an urgency to share a message of utmost importance. It's okay to get straight to the point, but with respectlove and grace.

Serious means our hearts are heavy and concerned.

What are your three top personality traits? How do they affect the way you communicate...

  • in your marriage?
  • with family?
  • with friends? 
  • in business?
  • through social media?

Christ has given us a mission, a purpose, and a voice. We must be aware of each as we proclaim His truth. And through whatever platform He gives us, we must consider our words and sparkle with our own, one-of-a-kind personalities.

Please, dear Jesus, as we seek Your face, 
Season our words with love and grace.

Bridle our tongues from speaking harm, 
And fill us with Your loving charm.

From today's beginning until the end, 
Stir our speech with a sacred blend. 

With respect and grace mixed just right, 
May we speak Your words both day and night.

My Pleasure,
Melanie



Comments

  1. Melanie, I thought you were describing me and my blog. My three words,off the top of my head, Walk, Wisdom, Wit. My blog is how God works His word out in me. His wisdom with my wit. I have a dry sense of humor. Thank you for causing me to think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love your three words, Cherrilynn! Our blogging is all about serving up Christ with a little of ourselves mixed in. Enjoy!

      Delete

Post a Comment