An Unusual Summer of Unwrapping Gifts

Gifts.

Spectacular or simple.

Gift bags adorned with colorful tissue paper. Boxes carefully wrapped with crisp creases and fancy ribbon.

Anticipation fills the air as the giver waits and watches for the recipient to open the carefully selected treasure.


The Summer of 2016 has been full of unexpected gifts. Somebody knows me well and has carefully placed on my doorstep unsuspecting packages, reminding me of His deep love and affection for me.

Well, not literally on my doorstep, and nope. Not my husband.

These gifts have arrived in the form of long-time friendships wrapped up tighter than the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. As I've opened these precious treasures, each has put a smile on my face and filled my heart with that squeal-out-loud-skip-a-beat joy.

As I blogged earlier this season about the different levels of friendships we experience, I had no idea God was wrapping up some of my own friends I haven't connected with in years and would be placing them on my stoop all throughout the summer.

Gift #1: A friend of 30 plus years and her husband connected with me while they were in France learning about the refugee crisis and how to best meet the needs of those fleeing from their homes. These missionary friends were coming back to South Carolina for a sort-of sabbatical. God used my husband and me to meet their need by providing them with a home to stay in while they sought the Lord's direction for a new season of ministry. Inside this unsuspecting package were dinners out, morning coffee chats, lots of laughing, praying, and catching up. What an incredible gift!

Gift #2: Another friend and her husband are in the process of moving to South Carolina from Virginia. This friend and I sang together in ministry for a short time, but connected with a bond that has lasted through 20 years. Although we've had little contact except through Facebook, we've picked up right where we left off. God is so good.

Gift #3: My former hairdresser and long-time friend attended church with us. Before moving to go to seminary, she was my right hand during eight weeks of bed rest while pregnant with my daughter. At the end of June she literally shows up on my doorstep for #SummerBookClub2016. What a treat to have her back in my life and to reconnect after almost 20 years. She even brought me a gift - a wreath she made in Carolina colors with football ribbon. Oh, she knows me well.

Gift #4:  Just a couple of weeks ago, God sent another surprise package in the form of a precious friend whom I've stayed in contact with, but not like I would have liked to. She just moved from Georgia back to South Carolina and I couldn't be more ecstatic! We met for lunch, caught up, and it was like she never left. What a kindred spirit we share. Afterwards, I walked to my car thinking, God is absolutely amazing. I needed this encounter today and He arranged it all. I love how He loves.

This intimate Lover of our souls knows us inside out. He created us with certain likes and dislikes, and He brings people into our lives for us to choose from to connect with on this earth for friendship, encouragement, to love and be loved, to rejoice and weep with, and to build one another up in Christ. He knows we need each other. He knows we need friends.

Every good and perfect gift comes from God (James 1:17, paraphrased).

How has God gifted you this summer? Look around. I'm sure He's watching with great anticipation for you discover, unwrap and enjoy the gifts He's picked just for you!

My Pleasure,
Melanie


Comments

  1. I love how you point out relationships as gifts from God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beckie. I do believe God brings people into our lives on purpose. I am truly blessed with and am grateful for great friendships.

      Delete
  2. What blessings! Friendship IS one of God's greatest gifts.

    Heather Bock
    www.glimpsesofjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Heather. Hope you are enjoying some friend time this summer.

      Delete
  3. God always seems to bring the perfect friend into our lives at just the perfect time. So thankful for friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is always looking out for us. Enjoy your friends and have a great weekend.

      Delete

Post a Comment