Our Homes Are Sanctuaries


Last week was filled with nail guns, saws, the constant opening and closing of doors, and tracking in and out of our home. I wouldn't be surprised if our CPI security voice is a little hoarse from calling, "Den door!," every time it opened.

We finally bit the bullet and put in new kitchen floors, extending down the hallway, and a new backsplash, all of which was needed. It is absolutely beautiful, and I couldn't be more pleased.

We still have the new range hood to be installed. But, our new washer and dryer, both of which were in dyer need of replacement came yesterday and renovations - Phase One - is almost done!





I read this somewhere recently: Our homes are not show places but sanctuaries.

Don't you just love that?

Many have graced our home over the years for parties, wedding and baby showers, and Bible studies. Others have entered in times of grief, or in need of Christian counsel. We're OPEN - 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week to meet needs, listen and love on those who need it. It's who we are. It's what we do.

The art of making people feel at home isn't some hidden secret. You just have to be willing to do life with people. Be real, inviting them into your successes and struggles, pointing them to Christ and the Scriptures.

Our homes are a type of sanctuary - a sacred place of refuge for family and others.

In the Old Testament, the Temple walls surrounded the most sacred of places where the sanctuary was housed; a place that only the high priest could enter into once a year to ask for the forgiveness of sins for himself and on behalf of God's people. The sanctuary was called the Holy of holies, where the Ark of the Covenant (the presence of Yahweh, Jehovah God) dwelled with His people.

After Christ redeemed us on the cross, the sanctuary or temple (the place where the presence of God dwells) is now inside of us - God's people. It's not an intricately God-designed mobile tent of worship with extravagant accessories and decor, filled with sacred symbolism, or a brick and mortar, breathtaking structure of meticulous architecture and art. The moment Jesus gave up His spirit, the heavy veil of the Holy of holies split in two signifying God's dwelling place would now be in the hearts and spirits of those who follow Christ. It's where the Holy Spirit resides, and we don't need a human priest to intercede for us anymore.

We have access to the sanctuary of God, and our High Priest, Jesus Christ, sits at the right hand of the Father interceding on our behalf. Because we believe in Him and have received Him into our hearts, we now live in His presence moment by moment, day by day.

Therefore, wherever we are, we house His sanctuary. Doesn't that just send goose bumps running up and down your spine?

Splendor and majesty are before Him; strength and glory are in His sanctuary (Psalm 96:6 NIV).

Strength and glory are in His sanctuary - in us!

So, shouldn't our homes also be a physical sanctuary filled with His strength and glory? A place where love, mercy, grace, and forgiveness abound? Where calm, peace, protection and refuge are looked forward to with each opening of the door?


How would you describe the atmosphere of your home? Does your home breathe a sweet release for those who enter? What renovations need to be made in your heart's sanctuary so peace can spill over into your home today?


I pray we will begin to see our homes from this perspective, recognizing the focus of home is sanctuary, not showplace. 

  • Where we learn from our messes, not focusing on never making messes.
  • Where our speech is filled with kindness, not harshness.
  • Where we listen to each other, not talk over one another.
  • Where God's Word is the center of our conversations.
  • Where Jesus isn't just an honored guest, but the Head of our families.

Before I close, let me confess that I am guilty of not following my own advice. I fail again and again. I can be too concerned about messes. I speak harshly sometimes. I don't listen as I should (just ask my kids). I don't multitask, especially if I'm writing or reading on the computer.

We all need to renovate our homes at times, especially because of the hidden, crumbling spaces the eye can't see. But, we also need to be alert and aware at all times of the status of our hearts, allowing the Spirit to clean out sin and renovate. Then, instead of the musty, stale odors our guests would inhale, they will breathe in the sweet aroma of Christ and find refuge - a soothing sanctuary for the soul.

(Renovation - Phase Two - starts Thursday. Bring it on!)

My Pleasure,
Melanie






Comments

  1. My adult son who is in the Air Force came home to visit along with his girlfriend last week. Of course this meant his brother and wife came over a few times as well as some friends. It was a wonderful visit, but at one point, I found myself frustrated with the mess of having a full house again. It's just my husband, me, and our daughter since the boys have moved out.
    At the height of my frustration, I went into my prayer closet and gave it to the Lord. I felt a lot like Martha rather than Mary. But when I left, I was able to embrace my family and let the little stuff go.
    I love the idea you have shared calling our homes our sanctuaries. Thanks for another thought to add to my arsenal for when I go into Martha-mode!
    Blessings,
    Beckie from Spotlight, beckielindsey16.com
    P.S. Your home is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beckie. What a great example of how we have to let go of the little things and embrace the relationships we've been gifted with to nurture and deepen within our homes, especially when our adult children want to come home. That's a blessing as well! All is Grace, Melanie

      Delete
  2. This made me smile. In May, I bought a very small house that is in great shape but horribly outdated. Over the past month, I gutted the kitchen (myself), had plumbing put in so that the washer and dryer can be in the kitchen, bought all new appliances, had new cabinets installed and I painted them, and then had backsplash put in. It's been an adventure. But never once did I move past the physical aspect, as you did here. Thank you for challenging me to look at this remodel differently. And your home is beautiful -- thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Kudos to you for your patience and vision to take on a project like that. Maybe you should start another HGTV show and emphasize the sanctuary mindset with your talents to boot. I would love to see your pictures! Thank you for sharing and I pray you will have many hours to share your new sanctuary with others. Blessings! ~Melanie

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful post, Melanie. Thank you for sharing about your home and the heart. I love the colors of your house, and the brick! Oh, the brick. I want my heart to be a place God enjoys dwelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy! We love the brick, too. My father-in-law designed and had this house built. It was finished in 1977 and is where my husband was living when I met him in 1980. We've updated through our 24 years living here and have had things fixed just from wear and tear. As for your heart, God's dwelling place, from my short time meeting you, I believe God is pleased with His dwelling place in you. Sure, we can all grow and improve, but you are a beautiful reflection of Christ. Keep shining! ~Melanie

      Delete
  4. I love this thought-provoking post, Melanie. I've often thought of my home as a sanctuary for my family - a safe-haven, a refuge - but I've never considered that it could be a sanctuary for others. Thanks for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan. It's such a humbling experience when others talk about how they say, "Ah," when they enter your home. It truly can be a safe, calm place when theirs may be filled with tension and discord. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I love that idea of home being a sanctuary. I've been challenged over the last year to make my home a place where Jesus is welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the idea and have embraced this perspective for all who enter my home. I even bought doughnuts for the guys this morning working on Phase Two of our renovations. :) Enjoy your day! ~Melanie

      Delete
  6. I can get a little too stressed out about it (like today when a guest came over), but I always want my house to be tidy and clean when people come so they feel welcome, like I have taken the time to prepare it for them. I like how you said the way we act in our home (listening, kind words, etc.) will truly make it a sanctuary for those who come to visit. Thank you for this, and I hope the next renovations go well!

    Heather Bock
    www.glimpsesofjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Heather. Clean and tidy, but not obsessed that we get so stressed we can't enjoy the one's we've cleaned for. Just meeting you, I'm sure you already have a very cozy sanctuary. You definitely have sweet, kind and gentle spirit. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment