One Last Time

The morning was foggy as we traveled to the cememtery on Wednesday. We began our goodbyes to our mom with a private family burial.  One of the pastors that knew my mom well asked if we would like to keep this informal and just sit around and share some memories and thoughts about today and Junelle.  We loved the idea because it was so personal and gave us some close family time together that we had not been able to find during all of the preparations.

As we sat under the tent on this beautiful spring morning, the sun began to break through the fog as we talked about mom and the memories that came flooding to our minds.  A bird even flew in under the tent and over the casket as it lie in wait for it's final resting place.  My mom's favorite time of year was spring.  She would have loved the morning dew, the warmth of the sun, the birds singing and the soft breeze blowing.

I couldn't help but think back to our childhood in the spring as mom would be hard at work sewing our Easter dresses, then take us shopping for shoes and matching purses.  She wanted her two little girls to look their best for the most important day of the year.  Then on Easter Sunday morning we would stand on the front lawn in our new fancy duds, with our beaurtiful mom and her flowered hat, to smile for the camera.  "Cheese."

After some time of sharing and talking about the legacy our parents have left for us to continue, we made our way to the church for lunch.

Her celebration service was at 2:00 pm.  I especially loved planning this part, because it's such a part of who I am.  The music was designed with her favorites and with a heart of praise to how faithful God has been to her and to our family.

After a dvd of pictures as we played her favorite hymn, "Living for Jesus", the family processed in to the congregation singing "Blessed Assurance, Jesus Is Mine".  Once the family was seated, Bill and I played "Shout to the Lord with Great is the Lord".  Then pastor Eddie continued with Words of Encouragement.

The group I used to sing with, Together For Him, sang a song that I wrote about 15 years ago called, "A Friend Loves At All Times" taken from Proverbs 17:17.  I chose this song to encourage all of our friends who had meant so much to my parents over the years. 

Chaplain Chong from Agape' came and participated, as well as, one of the nurses.  They had rewritten the words to "My Favorite Things" as a tribute to what my mom's favorite things during her six plus years at the senior community.  It brought the house down.  People laughed and applauded after their rendition.


After pastor Don concluded with Words of Wisdom, to end the service, Bill and I played "The Hallelujah Chorus".  I held it together through the whole service until the end of that song.  The tears began to flow as we finished playing. I could just picture the reunion of mom and dad and their rejoicing in the presence of Jesus Christ.

My thinking was, as I played and sang for her service today, that she and dad were my biggest fans.  They gave their all for me to flourish in my musical ability and skills.  They listened to everything I played, sang, wrote, came to every concert, school or church, etc... The least I could do was blow them a kiss with my music as I played and sang for them one last time.  Click below to hear the arrangement we played.


Then the family recessed to the last verse of one of my favorite hymns, "My Jesus, I Love Thee" which says,

In mansions of glory an endless delight
I'll ever adore Thee in heaven so bright
I'll sing with the glittering crown on my brow
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus 'tis now.

What a day.  What a lady.  What a mom!  She was truly our picture of grace!  It was an honor to be her daughter.  Her children did rise and call her blessed. (Prov.31)

My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments