Hearts Lifted High

I've been distracted for the past few weeks and MIA on the blog scene. Here's why...

Because of some heavy heartache that my children have been experiencing, my focus has been solely on them and cradling their hearts in my hands.  Without going into detail, my purpose here is to share with you what an honor it is to be their mom; to love and to hold the hearts of my children.


From the moment of conception, a mom's heart is connected to the heart of her unborn. With every heartbeat, as the miracle of life is growing inside her, she anticipates their birth. That God ordained moment when they gasp outside the womb and the Lord breathes His holy breath into their tiny lungs.

As our sweet little babies continue living outside our bodies, all of their days are numbered and known by their Creator. (Psalm 139) They are known by God intimately, inside and out; even the hairs on their heads are being counted at all times.  He made them and allowed us, their moms, the privilege of carrying them- close to our hearts.

With every new discovery and accomplishment, a mom has the opportunity to clap her hands in jubilant celebration.  With every disappointment they experience, she has the opportunity to wrap her arms around them in loving consolation.

These past few weeks have been times of consolation.  These moments of disappointments and heartache have been really hard.  I've shed many tears on their behalf. But even through the tears, I can find gifts and I give thanks. 

In my gifts journal I list the hard eucharisteo that author Ann Voskamp writes about.  The hard is teaching them and me about how faithful our God is through the tough stuff in life, and how He loves us through our hurts and suffering.  He's always working all things for our good, and for His glory!

God is also teaching me that I can't kiss away their hurts anymore, as much as I would like to.  As they grow up, they experience pain in a deeper way, a more personal way; the kind that a mother cannot fix.  I'm learning that, as God is weaning them from my care, He is leading them to a complete reliance on Him.  They are learning how to own their faith, to live their faith, and to trust their God.

My job of raising my children is almost over, but my job of praying for them is never over.  I've always prayed that He would give them teachable hearts, soft enough to be molded into hearts that look and act like His. God has honored that prayer in ways I could never have imagined. And now, God is showing me that I have to trust Him with their hearts; even their broken ones. It's time to act on the faith I claim.

These past weeks I have had to put my faith into action. As I've held their hearts in my hands, I have tried to caress them, love them, and heal them, but I've been drawn by the Holy Spirit to lift their hearts high to heaven, to open my hands, and to release them to Him, and to trust Him.  This is the difficult part of the growing up process for the parent; remembering Who they belong to ultimately, and releasing them back to His loving care. 

I'm giving thanks today for the privilege to hold these hearts close and for the letting go. This doesn't mean I can't wrap my arms around them when they hurt, or clap my hands when they achieve. It means that I have to trust their hearts to the God who created them, who has a perfect plan for their lives, who loves them more than I ever could, and believe that He has their best interest at heart for His glory.  So to my children I say, "Remember this... 

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are mine.  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.  When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him." Isaiah 43:1-3a,7 NKJV
                                                                                                                       
 
My Pleasure,
Melanie (Turner and Madison's Mom)

Comments