A Pen Leaking Gratitude

 
Over 700 now and still counting.  Counting gifts. A journal filling up with wonder from a pen leaking gratefulness all over the page. This counting, with pen in hand, changes a heart forever.

I'm reading through Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, for the third time in a year.  Yes, I said, "For the third time."  I can't seem to leave this incredible book alone.  Something about it keeps drawing me back over and over again. 


A Martin Luther quote which Ann uses struck me this time through in a very profound way.

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen."  (Martin Luther)

Then God squeezed the quote a bit to speak directly to what I'm learning.

 
"If you want to change, pick up a pen."  (Melanie Shull)

It's true!  The penning of wonders and gifts has changed me forever.  The pure, simple act of seeing and then writing has stretched my tunnel vision to viewing more of life from God's perspective.  Pen leaking ink onto the journal pages has led me to trust Him more.  It has allowed my hands to open, and with eyes upward, to receive His gifts of grace with pleasure, even the hard ones that in the moment don't seem like gifts at all.

Penning gratitude is the open door to real joy!  That's why I cannot put this book on the shelf and leave it there; this book, grounded in and on the truth of God's Word. This book, Ann's heart, challenges me to go deeper into the layers of mystery in the Word of God; mysteries that He wants to reveal to all who are willing to see.  Seeing leads to penning, and penning spills over into living.  Isn't JOY what we all long for everyday?  Joy is a delectable taste of heaven. The incredible goodness of God satisfies every spiritual taste bud. Why would I give up something that satisfies my soul with exquisite flavor?

"Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good." (Psalm 38:4)  David knew once you took a bite of God's goodness, there's no going back.  It's like the old Lay's potato chip commercial that said, "No one can eat just one."  Well, no one can pen just one either.

Jesus' gratitude to His Father always displayed His joy-filled heart.  Ann begins her journey to joy at the Lord's table; Eucharisteo! 

The thankfulness Christ spoke out loud as He broke bread with His disciples hours before he would be sacrificed for you and for me, awakens my soul to the gift I'm most grateful for-Jesus, my joy and my salvation.  Ann discovers that thanksgiving precedes the miracle.  The miracle of the cross and what Jesus' sacrifice did to change the world forever was preceded by Christ giving thanks.

This is why I cannot put this book down, nor my gifts journal.  Pages filled with pen-spilled gratitude has changed my heart. Counting gifts has changed me. Gratitude precedes the miracle of a transformed life. 

Dear Jesus, keep me counting.

My Pleasure,
Melanie



Comments