Especially In the Storms

I love a dark, dreary, rainy day. I'm one of those few who loves storms.  Give me a thunderstorm and I give much praise. 

I don't ever remember being afraid of storms. 

I remember one summer, when I was early elementary age, boat riding on Lake Murray.  We were traveling back to our lake house from visiting some friends across the lake when a huge thunderstorm came up. I wasn't afraid because my daddy was driving the boat, and he would make it all right.

The lake was wild with rough water and white caps. Lightening was flashing and the thunder was rolling. The adults in the boat were filling up and dumping out buckets of water as fast as they could, but the waves continued to pour in over the sides. As we plowed through the treacherous waters, I never thought we wouldn't make it back to shore.

I totally trusted my daddy.

We made it back, safe and sound. Events like this are why I have such a strong faith in God.  My daddy was an earthly picture of my heavenly Father. Although my daddy couldn't know and see all, he provided a sense of security, calmness and peace in my life.  My heavenly Father provides the same, but in a much deeper fashion.  He knows and sees all.  He knows what's best for me. He will provide what I need to learn to trust Him more, to strengthen my faith, and to bring Him more glory, even if what I need is a storm.  Some storms we can prepare for; some come and we don't even know what hit us.  In any case, God gives storms for one main purpose...to teach us trust and thankfulness.

As the sun peeks through the dark clouds at times today, I'm reminded of the Son who rises above our circumstances, shines light in the dark places, and provides the security, peace, and comfort we need in all storms of life.

We can give praise and thanks in all things...especially in the storms.

"give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thes. 5:18 NIV)

My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments

  1. I agree! I love those dreary, rainy days-- especially when they are enhanced with the sound of distant thunder. I find the especially relaxing if I can watch the rain fall over the ocean from the safety of a beach front condo.

    My father was a great influence on my love of storms. I recall, as a child standing with him on our screened porch in order to get closer to the wonder of it all. I quickly learned that thunder was a reassurance that I was safe.

    I am a nature-lover. The things and processes of nature fascinate and enlighten me. To me, admiring the beauty in the natural world is a form of worship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much agreed! Isaiah 6:3 says, "The whole earth is full of His glory." When we are in awe of creation, we are in awe of the Creator. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete

Post a Comment