Listen...and Listen Well

How well do we listen?  Are we always thinking of what we're going to say next as someone is pouring out their heart to us, or are we truly engaged with what the person is saying?

I believe we are all guilty at times of not listening well.

Someone called this past weekend and needed to share something very personal with me. When I answered the phone, I didn't realize I would be listening for 45 minutes, but listening to my friend pour out her heart was well worth my time.

I'm rereading "Twirl" by Patsy Clairmont as I lead a Summer Book Club. The chapter I had just finished before the phone rang had challenged me to be a better listener and friend. I was in awe of what I had just read and prayed about, God was giving me an opportunity to be obedient.  I became the "ears" for someone who needed me to listen...and listen well.

I've been told that I'm a good listener, and although I'm humbled at the compliment,  I have to be honest.  Listening takes effort and concentration.  (Just ask my family. I don't multitask, and if my eyes are not focused on you, then I'm not hearing you.)

Listening well is not an easy task, but a very rewarding one.

 The best listener ever is Jesus. While on earth, Jesus showed His disciples how to listen...and listen well. No one has ever been or ever will be more compassionate or concerned about you or me than Jesus. He knows our hearts before we pour them out before Him.  He understands our concerns before we voice them, and He invites us to bend His ear with whatever is on our minds. He loves us and does not put conditions on His love.

For many who didn't know He was the Messiah, He would engage them in conversation and ask questions which gently led them to their own discovery of His identity and their need for a Savior. First, they would feel remorse for their sins, which moved them to repentance;  believing in Him led them to a changed, and joy-filled life.

Before Jesus was born, His names were prophesied as Wonderful, Counselor... (Isaiah 9:6 NKJV). His wise counsel is incomparable. His wisdom is higher than any other. (Romans 11:33-34)

Jesus is our Shelter, our Refuge, a Strong Tower, a very present help in our time of need. He wants us to trust Him with our heartache, our secrets, our hurts, and He rejoices with us when we rejoice.

How often do people come to you because you proved to be a good listener? Are you someone who truly cares, full of compassion and concern, a safe place for people to spill out their hurts and cares, as well as, rejoice with them when they rejoice?

Even though we don't have all of the answers, we can be Jesus to someone by listening...and listening well. 

After hearing well, we should direct them to the greatest listener, Jesus. Pray with them, search the Scriptures with them, and, if needed, direct them to someone who can give them wise counsel beyond what we are equipped to give.

How well will you listen today?

The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears, And delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit. 
                                                                                                                           (Psalm 34:17-18 NKJV)

My Pleasure,
Melanie




Comments