The Winning Side of the Ball



I love football, as I have mentioned numerous times before, and I love how it encompasses so many analogies about life. Stick with me here.

I'm sure you've heard about the recent controversy and NFL investigation into how some of the air was released from the Patriot's footballs during the AFC Championship game between the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts.

The looming question is,  "Were the Patriots aware of and responsible for the deflated footballs, hoping Tom Brady, the Patriot's quarterback, would be able to grip the ball better during the cold, wet weather?"

I don't know how this happened or who was responsible, but let me just say,"Come on man!" (Spoken like the ESPN announcers as they recap crazy, unbelievable highlights of the week.) I love that ESPN Sport's segment!

As a die-hard fan of the Dallas Cowboys' first, the Green Bay Packers' second, and the New England Patriots' third, I've been on the winning side of the ball a lot this season. Because my third choice made it to the big one, I'm really looking forward to Superbowl 49!

Did the Patriots cheat to get there? No one knows for sure what happened, so I will refrain from giving my opinion until the NFL investigation is concluded.

Followers of Jesus Christ are on the winning side of the ball every. single. day! No cheating necessary for Christians to come out as winners!

Sure, life is full of intense, strategic, offensive and defensive plays, and we may fumble occasionally, throw an interception, lose the momentum, and feel beat up or even deflated (pun intended), but at the end of the day, WE WIN!

What makes us winners? The better question would be, "Who makes us winners?"

Jesus Christ. The Victor!
  • He stepped out of heaven and into the ring where sin has its sting. 
  • He became one of us, lived among us and committed no sin. 
  • He paid the penalty the Father God required for the sins of all mankind because He was the perfect Lamb. 
  • He conquered sin, the sting of death and the grave. He arose!
  • He won the battle of good vs. evil. He's the Champion!
  • He bridged the gap between us and the Father. He is our Savior and so much more!
Because Christ has won the ultimate battle with His own blood, sweat, tears and extreme grief, we are equipped with the same resurrection power through the power of the Holy Spirit to wake up in the winner's circle every day we breathe. The battle we fight today to defeat sin in our lives, has already been won. Not allowing sin to control our lives is possible through Jesus Christ. We can defeat sin because sin has been defeated by the Victor. 

A winning attitude is what we should bring to the table every morning. Therefore, when we find ourselves in a knock-down, drag out fight with the enemy, we can shout with a righteous confidence, "I'm a winner in Jesus Christ!"

Which side of the ball are you on?

The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (I Corinthians 15:57 NKJV)

My Pleasure,
Melanie




Comments