Feeling a Little Restless


For the first two days of this week I've been a little restless, a mite unsettled.

Maybe it's the triple digit temps and high humidity. Who wouldn't be restless in this heat?

Maybe it's all the unknowns hanging over our family. Life changing decisions can be daunting.

Maybe I'm bored, even though I have much to do.

Whatever it is, I'm definitely a prime candidate for the Bible study called Restless that I'm preparing to teach this fall.

What causes our spirits to be unsettled?

Sometimes something just doesn't seem right, but we can't put our finger on it.

Other times it could be a relationship that's unsettled, like struggling with an aging family member, a spouse who is on edge, a rebellious child, or walking on eggshells around a co-worker who could go off on you at any moment. Any host of things can cause our boats to rock.

My restlessness seems to be a result of a loss of focus and motivation. I'm supposed to be editing articles for the next issue of Living Real, but just can't settle in to get it done.

Maybe focusing on something else for a while might help.

I love to create a welcoming environment, whether it's in my home, or for a gathering elsewhere. So to take a little of the edge off, I got out of the house for a while to gather my thoughts and look for some creative inspiration.


I weaved in and out of the displays strolling through Hobby Lobby (one of my favorite stores). Since it was over a hundred degrees outside, I moseyed over to the Fall decor in hopes of jumpstarting some "cool" creative thoughts.  A good find could provide some much needed motivation.

Fall is my favorite season of the year. It brings vivid colored leaves, cooler temperatures hinting that winter is on its way (Yay!), the smells of cinnamon and pumpkin spice, football of course, and the countdown to Christmas - my absolute favorite holiday of the year!

I found a few good deals. (Don't worry Rick. They were 40% off!) I brought them home and tucked them in the closet so in a month or so, when I pull them out, I can get excited all over again.

Then, for just a small measure of pleasure, I added mini lights to my coffee bar. Simple, but very effective.



Hospitality is one of my spiritual gifts and when we use our gifts, something settles in our spirits.

Living with purpose and acting on that purpose brings a calming and a sense of peace.

Thank you, Jesus, for these little perks of pleasure that remind me I am serving You and living on purpose when I make my home welcoming for my family and friends. Help me to stay focused on You - the One who truly calms my restless heart, and to live out my purpose in all You've called me to. Amen.

Now, back to editing.

My Pleasure,
Melanie










Comments