Some Sand, Sun, and Salt

A week at the beach always provides me with sweet refreshment.  Rest and relaxation mixed with a little sand, sun, and salty ocean air set the perfect stage for self reflection and spiritual renewal.

Stepping out of the familiar, fast-paced rhythm of our daily and into a new slower, methodic rhythm can reenergize our souls.

Under the canopy of the ocean breeze, I reveled in the low-key, lazy days. As I hunkered down with a good book, I breathed a little deeper and sat a little longer at the water's edge soaking in some sunshine and much needed Vitamin D.

Because my energy was depleted and my drive to move forward was in a lull, God provided just what I needed to put me back on track. As I surrendered to the easy flowing rhythm of the simple life, my dreams and goals slowly began to resurface.

Since returning from vacation, I've been drawn to several promises I found tucked inside a very familiar passage of Scripture.

Nestled inside the frequently quoted instructions from Paul in Philippians 4:4-9 are 3 simple promises: (Promises are highlighted in red for emphasis, NIV)



Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. 
The Lord is near.  (vs. 4-5)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, 
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts 
and your minds in Christ Jesus. (vs. 6-7)
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable,--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. 
And the God of peace will be with you. (vs. 8-9)

Packed in these five verses of life instructions are powerful promises for the Christian to cling to:

- God's presence is with us.
- The peace of God will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
- The peace of God will be with us.

We don't need to worry or be anxious. We can rejoice always, give thanks in everything, and think on things most excellent because we live in the presence and with the peace of our Lord.

On many occasions, Scripture gives account of Jesus retreating to be alone with His Father to practice what He taught. He separated Himself from the daily to replenish His spirit, His strength, and His mind. Why would we be any different? To live like Jesus, we need to retreat with the One who IS NEAR and gives us the strength to press on toward the goal - the goal of becoming more like Christ - and the peace to trust Him in all things.

I hope you are able to retreat this summer. Make sure you have some alone time to replenish what has been emptied from you. Take time to read for fun, to study and meditate on the Word of God, to write some letters, meet up with friends you haven't seen in a while, pray, listen, and just rest.

Go off the grid - no social media for an extended period of time. You will be refreshed and ready to face the future with purpose and power because of time well spent in the Father's presence.

You may even decide you need to retreat more than once a year!

My Pleasure,
Melanie


















Comments