A Whisper and a Smile



This morning around 10:00 am, I was sitting quietly working through my Wonderstruck Bible study at the kitchen island. I was busy listing "God's praiseworthy deeds" when my front doorbell rang.

I rarely answer the door when I'm home alone, but the painter was working in the den. I felt safe enough to at least go see who it was.

Standing on my front door step was a lady I didn't know, holding the latest issue of Living Real magazine.

Yes.

Friend, not foe.



I opened the door.

She introduced herself as a neighbor who lived just down the street, and proceeded to tell me how she had discovered Living Real. She had picked it up in Atlanta Bread last evening while talking with her cousin. Her smile was amazing and I immediately felt a connection.

As she spoke of how the magazine had ministered to her in her quiet time on this cold January morning, she said the Holy Spirit prompted her to stop by and thank me for being obedient; for producing a beautiful magazine telling the stories of real people living real faith.

Not only was I embarrassed that I had not met her before, but I also hadn't showered or put on make-up. A bit later when I looked in the mirror, I noticed my eyeliner from the day before had given into gravity and was now shadowing the already dark circles under my eyes. What a ghastly sight I must have been!

We talked for a few minutes. She asked if I had a blog. I, of course, said yes, and showed her how to get to it. We hugged and she left to go on with her day.

What just happened?

Wonder showed up at my door today.

God whispered and smiled at me through the obedience of a neighbor; a sister in Christ. He was affirming His call on my life, the steps of obedience I've taken in 2016, and telling me to stay the course with what He has designed me to do.

Speaking to my restless spirit throughout the end of 2015, God continued to say, Stop filling your time with good things. 

That sounds so strange.

But His voice didn't let up. 

Because I have greater things to show you. 


After closing the front door, I immediately went back to my list of God's praiseworthy deeds and wrote down a greater thing He just performed in my foyer.

I will also meditate on all Your work, And talk of Your deeds. Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary; Who is so great a God as our God? (Psalm 77:12-13 NKJV)

My Pleasure,
Melanie








Comments