Behind Closed Doors




It was the week after Christmas and I was standing outside the door. I just couldn't take it any longer. It was time. It had to be done, and today was the day. I had put it off too long. No one else was going to do it, so I had to take the first step.

I winced as I opened the door to face the music. Just what I expected. What I had feared was staring me in the face. My closet had thrown up all over itself. Total disarray. It was disgusting!

Clothes off hangers. Shoes all over the floor. Sweatshirts and sweaters all jumbled up together. Nothing was in the right spot and I was at the point where I couldn't find anything I needed when I needed it.  I had hit the point of no return. "I can't take it anymore!"






I swallowed hard, girded up my loins, and headed in. I pulled out and sorted for what seemed like hours, but with 5-6 large garbage bags filled with clothes, a couple more filled with empty hangers, and one full of trash, my closet was completely transformed. It was like walking into a whole new world. Everything had a place and everything was in its place.

I stood back and smiled. Ahhh... a clean, organized, functional space. A little piece of heaven right here on earth. Why did I wait so long to do this?

Why do I let that small little space get so out of hand? It's not that difficult to hang something up or place a sweater on a shelf, or put shoes (right and left) together on a rack. But, oh no. Not me. I'm Mrs. Clean for a while, but then, out of no where, the closet monster creeps in and, before I know it, my closet is throwing up all over the place... AGAIN.

Isn't this what often happens in our walks of faith? One day we're just plugging along with the flow, and the next we're off the path having lost direction. We don't know up from down or left from right. How did we get here? How do we get back? Where is hope? What happened to courage? Where's joy? Peace! Where are you? We can become so confused and lost in the chaos, that we stand frozen.
Unable to move.

Instead of the closet monster, the sin monster has wiggled in and taken up residence, right in the spot where Christ should be - on the throne of our hearts. Sin has crawled in and we've ignored it for way too long, allowing relationships, work, ministry, and life to move further and further off course.

The only way to get it all under control is to surrender and let God move back into His place of Lordship. How do we do that?

Life is messy, and the messes we make are the messes God wants to clean up. He's the Master Cleaner-upper. When we surrender the messy closets of our hearts to Christ, He will step in and give our hearts a thorough cleansing and refreshing. He loves to forgive, redeem, and make new. It's who He is.

And do you know what's even better? He wants to help us keep our heart closets clean and in order, freeing us from the messes that sin stirs up. But it takes effort on our part.

David asks this question in Psalm 119:9. How can a young man cleanse his way? Then he answers his own question as the Spirit guides his strokes. By taking heed according to Your word. With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You. (Psalm 119:10-11 NKJV)

What is out of control in your life? What messes are you stepping over, avoiding, or just sitting in the middle of? Don't allow sin to keep you behind closed doors. Open your heart. Invite Christ into your mess. He wants to clean it up and give you a fresh, new start.



My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments