Do You Open Your Bible Out of Obligation or Expectation?

For years as a young follower of Christ, I opened my Bible because I was supposed to. I checked it off my "Be a Good Christian" to-do list and felt better about myself, at least for the moment.

Now don't get me wrong. Opening my Bible was never a waste of time or energy. I was developing a life discipline, but without expecting God to speak, I was just spinning my wheels.

As the years have passed, and I continue to grow up in the faith, tasting more and more of His delectable truth for myself, I now know God has something for me each and every time I open my Bible.

I want to read to see what my Father has to say to me.
In this moment.
Right where I am.

Reading the Bible out of obligation produces boredom and discontentment.

Reading the Bible with expectation produces great satisfaction and fullness of joy.

Soaking in the Word of God is the most important thing we do as disciples of Christ.

Why? Because Jesus is...

  • our Bread of life. (John 6:48)
  • our Portion. (Psalm 119:57)
  • our Sufficiency. (Matthew 6:25-34)
  • our Deliverer. (2 Timothy 4:18)
  • our Strength. (Psalm 46:1)
  • our Help. (Psalm 46:1)
  • our Breath. (Acts 17:25)
  • our very Life. (John 6:63)
And oh, so much more!

Without God's Word, there are no words, no life, no hope, no joy, no peace, no salvation.

His Words are eternal. So, why do we continually run after and feast on temporal, unsatisfying, tasteless morsels?

Pay close attention to what you feast on today: social media, books, gossip, the news, movies, reality shows, the Internet...

Let's walk away from the useless, empty words the world has to offer and meet God in His Word with great expectation. 

To help you with this, I would like to personally invite you into the conversation. To join the discussion, join The Red Carpet, Girls Only private Facebook Group (sorry guys!) on my author page @writermelanieshull. This will be a space for encouragement to stay in the Word of God, for real conversation, and where you can post what great things He has shown you so that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine (Romans 1:12 ESV).

I. Can't. Wait!

My Pleasure,
Melanie


Comments