Feeling Stagnant? 3 Steps to Keep the Writing Waters Flowing




Do you ever have days, weeks, even months where life seems stagnant; not moving; standing still; even a little smelly?

I do.

Life can be difficult, and when we allow it to become stagnant it can be quite the chore to push through to allow the rivers of life to flow again.

Like a mountain creek clogged with trash and debris, a writer can also become stagnant. This past week has been a stagnant week for me. I've written some, but I feel as though the flow of words is at a stand-still. This isn't the first time this has happened, and I know it won't be the last.

My stagnant state seems to always be connected to my spiritual condition. How about you?

When we find ourselves in a "funk" and can't seem to shake free, here are some steps to take:



1. Pray and Repent.


Completely wash away my guilt and cleanse me from my sin (Psalm 51:2).

Confession is good for the soul. It gives the Spirit freedom to loosen and wash away what hinders our flow of freedom through Christ Jesus. He's always faithful to show us where we've lost our way and to restore back to us the joy of our salvation (Psalm 51:12). We just have to ask.

2. Search the Word. 



My life is down in the dust; give me life through Your Word (Psalm 119:26).

In our stagnant state, our spirits can become dry, longing to be resuscitated. We may not always know where to land, but when our hearts are seeking Truth, we always finds Him. Our spirits may be pricked through a conversation, a book, or through nature, but however He uncovers our awareness of our need for Him, God always draws us to Himself through the pages of the Ancient Words for life-giving refreshment.

3. Retreat and Renew.


He leads me beside quiet waters. He renews my life (Psalm 23:2b-3a).

Sometimes, we just need some quality alone time with our sweet Jesus. Personal retreats are priceless for renewing our spirits. To align with His ebb and flow, we must carve out time to relax and settle into the rhythm of His heart. There's nothing more soothing than allowing Him to row us through the river of life.



Dear Jesus, What is causing me to be stagnant? Search my heart. Bring to the surface anything that is hindering my walk with You. Restore, renew and refresh my spirit as I retreat with You. Clear out what's clogging up my heart so Your grace, mercy love and words can flow freely again into the hearts of others. 

In the powerful name of Jesus, I pray. 
Amen.

My Pleasure,
Melanie

All Scriptures are from the Christian Standard Bible version.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was good advice, and great verses! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paige. Hope your writing waters flow well! Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Perfect timing! I needed this, Melanie! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crickett! I also needed your encouragement today. You are a blessing! ~ Melanie

      Delete

Post a Comment