Run to the Quiet

Seated in the salon chair anxiously awaiting much needed root attention, I was enjoying the quiet.  No other hair dressers or clients had arrived at this point.  Just my hairdresser and me.  She said, "Isn't it quiet?"  We like the quiet in the salon before anyone else arrives.  No radio, no chattering, no hairdryers, no gossip. Just quiet.

The timer was set as my roots received their last brush of color. I was just starting to read and drink my coffee when  another hair dresser arrived and said to mine, "It's so quiet in here.  I don't know how you stand it." 

Totally opposite response to the quiet.

Now don't get me wrong. I love my TV noise sometimes when I'm in the house alone, but there is nothing like a quiet morning to place your thoughts on the right things.  It's difficult to think when the airwaves are smothered with music, talking, and many other distractions.

We need the quiet to think on the things of God; to clear our minds and really listen to His still small voice.  When we turn on the sound clutter and listen to it non stop, we are no longer in control of what we hear.  Even listening to Christian radio all the time can clutter our minds. 

Our minds can become addicted to noise.  We think we need it to function throughout the day.  The radio/alarm wakes us up. We shower to music. We dress to music.  We ride to work or school to music. We exercise to music.  We work to music. We eat to music. We watch TV 'til time to go to bed and sometimes we even fall asleep to noise. 

Quiet. We tend to run from it instead of in to it.

But God wants to meet with us in the stillness, the quiet.  He wants us to know Him.





"Be still and know that I am God."
Psalm 46:10 NIV

God isn't limited to speaking only in the quiet, but our hearts need to learn to listen to His voice without distractions. We can't expect to know His voice if we don't know what His voice sounds like.  And learning anything well requires practice.


Even in our worship services we think the entire hour (or longer) has to be filled with noise, music, speaking..., but I believe God would be glorified and honored if we carved out some quiet time in our corporate gatherings to just be still and listen in the quiet.  Our minds need to be trained to handle the quiet. Is there a better place for the Body of Christ to learn the discipline of quiet and then encourage families to practice that discipline during the week than together in worship?



How do you handle the quiet?  Do you rush to fill it with noise so you don't have to listen to the quiet?  Want some real calm in your life? Discipline yourself to run to the quiet, not away from it.


"He will quiet me with His love..." (Zephaniah 3:17 NIV)


"He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters,
 He restores my soul." (Psalm 23:2-3a NIV)

My Pleasure,
Melanie

Comments