Full of Surprises!

I opened the small door of my mailbox and look what was in there! Two books I ordered from Amazon.com and my August 2014 issue of Southern Living magazine. My mailbox was chocked full of surprises today, and not one bill!

I love books and magazines.  I can't wait to settle in this evening with my cup of joe and one of my sweet surprises.

Sure, I could've purchased any of these on a Kindle or Nook. But you know what? I wouldn't enjoy them near as much.

You see, I love to hold a book in my hands, turn real pages, and sneak a peek occasionally to see how many pages are left before my simple pleasure begins to wind down, all the while wishing it will never end, especially if it's a really good story.



Even a magazine is a prize held in hand, a work of art. The layout, the pictures, the articles, all crafted to speak swiftly and skillfully, edited with precision from cover to cover.

Flipping down corners of pages filled with ideas to ponder, charm to capture, resources to return to again and again, is truly exciting for me. It's not unusual to find me engulfed in pure bliss with several magazines at a time draped across my desk, kitchen countertop, or island, as I imagine what I would do with the endless colors, designs, cozy spaces with furniture suggestions, as well as a few new recipes to try.

As I'm reeling with glee over the treasures from my mailbox, I'm reminded of how exciting it is when God gives me something new to reflect on, ideas to ponder and put into action, as I hold His precious, timeless Word in my hand, read it, meditate on it, and bask in His glorious presence.

Nothing compares to the flood of colors, designs, ideas, principles and truth spilling into my mind from the most wonderful creative mind ever - God's. I can flip down pages, place book marks, highlight verses, write in the margins and experience God's Word up close and personal, while holding it in my hands and treasuring it in my heart.



"How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. (Psalm 119: 103-106 NKJV)

"Your testimonies are wonderful; Therefore my soul keeps them. The entrance of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple. I opened my mouth and panted, For I longed for Your commandments. Look upon me and be merciful to me, As Your custom is toward those who love Your name. Direct my steps by Your word, And let no iniquity have dominion over me. "                                (Psalm 119:129-135 NKJV)

Digital books and magazines have hurt the sales of the real thing. But, as a friend and I were discussing the other day, digital will never replace the pure joy of holding a good book or THE Good Book in our hands.  I know it won't for me.

My Pleasure,
Melanie


Comments