The Simple - Amazing - Everyday - Blessings

It's November 2014 and, as the Thanksgiving holidays approach, much attention is being given to the counting of blessings.


Remember the old hymn, "Count Your Blessings"? We always sang it in church during the season of thanks. Every year at our Thanksgiving family reunion my dad would have me go to the piano and play this hymn as our family gathered around singing about the blessings that our God had so graciously given to us over the past year. Sweet memories of growing up in the Cook family.

I've been intentionally counting the simple- amazing- everyday- blessings since the summer of 2012.  As I've mentioned many times before, I was challenged by the author of One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp, to begin a "Thanks Journal". It has made the biggest difference in my attitude of gratitude.

The fun part of the journal is reading back over the jotted blessings from past years. What an amazing God we serve! If I hadn't been engaged in the search for all of the simple-amazing-everyday-blessings, I might have missed what God has placed right in front of me! My regret is that I didn't begin one earlier.


During this season of Thanksgiving, join me in this adventure by taking the Gifts Journal Challenge. Here's what you'll need to begin:

- a small journal
- a pen
- an alert mind
- a grateful heart

There's even an app for this if you'd rather use your I-phone. I choose the journal approach because it sits in my kitchen window in plain view, ready for me to hold and count. It also leads to conversation and is a reminder for my family as well. I hope you'll join me. Let me know if you do by commenting in the space below. Happy counting!

Count your blessings; name them one by one.
Count your blessings; see what God hath done.
Count your blessings...name them one by one...
Count your many blessings see what God hath done.  
                                                                                        Words: Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1856-1922
                                                                                        Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851-1921

My Pleasure,
Melanie


Comments