Press in and Listen


A voice came from the cloud, saying, This is My Son, Whom I have chosen; listen to Him. (Luke 9:35 NIV, Capitalizations for God, mine)

I met my precious friend, Lara, for lunch yesterday. As she prayed over our food, she also prayed that we would "press in and listen" to the voice of Jesus. I love it when God affirms what you have been meditating on through another person.

I have debated on what word I would be focusing on this year and the word that has come up the most is Listen.

God is very clear in His Word that we are to listen to Him. On the Mount of Transfiguration, God told the disciples to listen to His Son.

When Martha was scurrying around tending to details that were good and important, and her sister, Mary, was sitting at the feet of Jesus listening, Jesus said, "Martha, Martha,... you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41-42)

The better was pressing in and listening to the words of Jesus.

I was asked to speak for a women's group this past Tuesday, and they wanted me to share the story behind Living Real Magazine. The word that launched the behind the scenes story was Listen.

I pressed into the One I trust and listened to His still small voice. That's how Living Real Magazine came to be.

I use to struggle with being a good listener when people would share their hearts with me. Instead of listening intently, I was thinking about what I was going to say next. Several years ago, God convicted me of not listening well. Since then I strive to lean in and listen well.

The same is true as we seek to hear from God's heart.

When I was searching for what God wanted me to do with the burning passion to write He had obviously created in me, I had to really press into Him and listen well. Writing was never on my radar screen, except for a poem or song here or there, and I had never cared about English, grammar, editing, etc.. I had only paid attention to the musical talent He had blessed me with.

Does that mean I messed up or missed out? I don't think so.

We all sin along our journeys and need to be disciplined and reigned back in, but as far as the adventure, I believe God, in my case, kept the burning desire to write suppressed until His appointed time for it to rise up within me. He has appointed times for all of us to do things He's created us to do.

Whoever obeys His command will come to no harm, and the wise heart will know the proper time and procedure. For there is a proper time and procedure for every matter, though a man's misery weighs heavily upon him. (Ecclesiastes 8:5-6 NIV, Capitalizing of "His" is mine)

Our spiritual journeys are a process of growing and maturing in our faith in Jesus Christ. Moving forward on the path He's designed for us includes many lessons in learning what His voice sounds like.

When choosing to obey, He never ceases to amaze us with His faithfulness and grace. He always equips us with what we need to obey His voice with all of our hearts. His love never fails!

So, will you Press in and Listen with me as we seek Him with a whole heart in 2015?

My Pleasure,
Melanie


Comments