I Prayed for God's Best for Me


"I found the one my heart loves." (Song of Solomon 3:4)

30 years and counting! The phrase, "I'm married to the love of my life," is an understatement. This incredible human being, my husband, was an answer to a real heartache of a prayer from a 17 year old who was fed up with the "dating game." She was ready for the one God had chosen for her all along.

Through tears in my bed that night, I literally cried out to the Lord to bring into my life, not only the one He wanted me to marry, but for God's choice to be the next and last one I would date.

In a mere two weeks, out of the blue, my best friend at that time said she would introduce me to Rick Shull if I would give her voice lessons. They went to church together, and we were in a Christian singing group together.

I had never met Rick, but had seen him in his driveway playing basketball a few times. He had moved into our neighborhood a couple of years earlier during his senior year, but since he didn't transfer to Airport from Brookland Cayce, rival schools, I had not had the pleasure of meeting him.

A double date was arranged; a blind date for Rick and I, and my friend brought a good friend along as her date. We went to their church for a youth/college January Bible study and then went out for pizza.

The night was amazing. Great company and good conversation, but it did end a little weird. After Rick and I took the other two home, we pulled up in my driveway. We talked for a minute and then he turned and asked me if I wanted him to walk me to the door. No guy had ever asked me that before, so in my "unique spiritual gift of sarcasm" I said, "No thanks. I think I can handle it," and he let me handle it. I got out of the car by myself and went to the door all. by. myself. He drove off leaving me wondering, "Is this the one I prayed for?", but I knew in my heart he was.

I soon discovered he chatted with his best friend, Kenny, and told him he had a great time, but wasn't sure I would go out with him again. Rick told him I was somewhat of a "smart rear." Go figure.

Why did he ask to walk me to the door? I learned later that if you answer "yes" that means you want the guy to kiss you goodnight, but if the answer is "no", you don't want a kiss good night. I sure wish someone had shared that tidbit of info with me before going out with this incredible gentle-man.

Well, he did ask me out again! After dating for five years, not only had my prayer been answered, but my childhood dream of becoming a wife had come true in ways I never imagined.

On February 23, 1985, after my December graduation from the University of SC, we became husband and wife. I hope we have at least 30 more years to grow gracefully older and deeper in love together.

My Pleasure,
Melanie


Comments