The Perfect Husband

I don't know of any woman who claims their husband is perfect (except me of course). Well, not really, but I would say he's close.

One of my husband's many nicknames he's acquired through the years is the human Quicker-Picker-Upper. Without fail, every time he walks in the house he starts picking up and putting away any and everything out of place. You may say, "Wow! I wish my husband was like that," but before you go craving the grass on the other side of the fence, it can be quite annoying. Especially if you were just about to get to it and he steps in and does it. It makes you feel like you've failed him somehow.

I know. Weirdness, but true.

When we were dating, we would go to his house between college classes (which is now our home) and make sandwiches. Before I could even finish making mine, he had put all of the condiments back in the refrigerator. Who does that?

I tease him often by calling the paper towel his security blanket because he loves to wipe down the counters. Even if I've already wiped them down, he comes behind me and wipes them again. He seems to always have one in his hand or in his pocket. The worst is finding them torn to shreds in the washing machine because he left it in his pocket.

I told you, it can get quite annoying.

Through the years though, I've learned this is his love language and not just an obsession with "everything has its place." He loves me by helping me and being intentionally involved in household chores. He has a true servant's heart, a very rare quality these days. I've even had friends ask him to teach "How To Be a Good Husband" classes.

Well, as perfect as my husband sounds, he's not. He's human. Born with a sin nature, he battles the flesh like the rest of us. No one is perfect. Only Jesus.

The Perfect Husband:

  • loves His Bride deeper than any human can ever love
  • is always faithful to Her
  • layed down His life for Her
  • honors Her
  • is patient with Her
  • keeps His promises
  • protects Her
  • provides for Her
  • satisfies Her every need

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I just started facilitating the Book of Hosea for our small group Bible study. It is so full of the heart of our true Husband, Jesus Christ. A heart devoted to His chosen even when she strays. A heart that's faithful even when she's not. A heart that woos her back to Himself time after time when she sins because He loves her deeply. He knows she's safe with Him and finds true satisfaction in Him alone. 

And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the LORD (Hosea 2:19-20 ESV).

The beauty of Hosea and Gomer's love story is also God telling His own love story with His chosen -you and me. As we study this intriguing book we will watch His story of Redemption, Love, Forgiveness, and Grace, as well as see the harsh truth about consequences when we turn our affections away from Him. I'm so excited to dig deeper into this amazing picture of God's heart.


Fabulous but flawed, I love my husband. God has blessed us and taught us so much through our 31 years of marriage. I'm forever grateful for how God designed him and chose him for me - to love me with a heart like Christ's - as Christ loves the Church, willing to lay down His life for her. (Ephesians 5:25)

Loving and serving my husband is my pleasure, but loving and serving my Perfect Husband is my Pleasure Forevermore.

My Pleasure,
Melanie



Comments

  1. This is a wonderful article that points us in the direction of the "Perfect" Husband—Christ Jesus. Too often, we put unrealistic expectations on our earthly husbands that only God can fill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Beckie. And yes, we are so good at placing unrealistic expectations on our spouses and others. Thank goodness Jesus understands our imperfections and is patient with us as He transfigures our hearts to reflect His. Blessings, Melanie

      Delete
  2. I grew up in a family full of people like your husband. I would often go to get something I wasn't finished with only to find it put away by my mother. My dad would walk behind messy people in the kitchen occasionally wiping up their water drips. I'm not as much that way as the rest of my family, but mostly because I'm just too busy! Seriously, though, I'm thankful that I can only find real perfection in Jesus, and I love that He's my perfect husband!

    Heather Bock
    Www.glimpsesofjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather, for commenting. Tidiness is one thing, but obsessed with being tidy keeps us from enjoying and paying attention to the people in the room. I'm grateful too that we have the Perfecter of our faith as our Perfect Husband. Have a beautiful day! Melanie

      Delete

Post a Comment